- Have a licensed, qualified heating technician maintain your furnace or heating system.
- Change heating system filters to keep air passing through.
- Replace batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Don’t use electrical appliances around wet areas like bathtubs or sinks.
- Dry your hands before using electrical appliances.
- Keep electric heaters on level surfaces and 6-8 feet from furniture, curtains and drapes.
- Use childproof covers for outlets.
- Only insert electrical plugs into outlets.
- Inspect electrical/extension cords for wear and tear.
- Flickering lights, unusual smells and power interruptions could be signs that there is a problem – check all appliances and panels.
- Improperly installed generators can pose a safety risk to electric utility employees. Get a Double Throw switched installed-call Lower Yellowstone Electric for rebate information on switch.
- Operate generators outdoors and away from open windows, vents or doors to eliminate exposure to hazardous fumes.
- Store gasoline and other flammable liquids outside and away from heat and electrical sources.
- Never refuel while the generator is running. To minimize the danger of fire, turn it off and let it cool at least 10 minutes.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms with battery backup in the home, outside each sleeping area.
Natural Gas Safety Tips
- If you smell natural gas – leave your home immediately and call us from another location. Do not use your cell phone! Arcing or sparks could ignite gases.
- Don’t store cleaning supplies, paint or chemicals near natural gas appliances, such as water heaters, dryers, stoves or furnaces.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are difficult to detect. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous gas.
- Have chimneys, heating vents and furnaces professionally cleaned and maintained.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home.